News Feeds
   Links
TVHeads.com
Cable News Message Boards
Pictures
This Just In
Image Archives
Free Downloads
Networks - ABC  AL JAZEERA  BLOOMBERG  CBS  CNN  ESPN  FNC/FBN/FOX SPORTS/SKY NEWS  NBC/MSNBC/CNBC  TWC  UNIVISION  MORE   
Contributors - LEGAL  LOCAL NEWS  MEDIA (F)  MEDIA (M)  MEDICAL  POLITICAL (F)  POLITICAL (M)  TV/RADIO  MORE   
FAQ  Search  Memberlist   Register   Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Log in

Happy Holidays, Mr. & Ms. PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TVHeads.com Forum Index -> Somewheregirrl's Blog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
somewheregirrl
10,000 or more posts
10,000 or more posts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Happy Holidays, Mr. & Ms. PC Reply with quote

Happy Holidays (see below for author information)

A few weeks ago I read a letter to the editor which basically said that anyone who says, “Happy Holidays,” is a P.C., Christmas-hating, God-ridiculing, Communist. Okay, so those weren’t his exact words, but he was clear that he was not a fan of the alliterative greeting.

I really do not understand why people do not like the greeting “Happy Holidays.” I too celebrate Christmas, but if I want to say, “Happy Holidays,” does that make me less Christian? Is saying “Merry Christmas,” really the badge of true Christianity? When someone says “Merry Christmas,” are they then keeping the day holy?

The only reason most people care about whether or not you say “HH” or “MC” is because Bill O’Reilly made it a big deal. Before he claimed that there is a “war on Christmas,” no one noticed said war. “Seasons Greetings,” and “Happy Holidays” have been accepted greetings for years. There is an old Christmas song, “Happy Holidays,” that no one seemed to mind. The word holiday is a contraction of the words holy day, so in effect, we are saying “Happy Holy Days,” thus keeping Christmas holy.

Plus, this is simply the time of year when there are a lot of holy days. Beginning with Thanksgiving, then Christmas, and New Years, this is considered the holiday season. I’m not sure why acknowledging a coincidence of our calendar is somehow seen as “attacking Christmas.” Another holy day in this season is Hannukah. Hannukah is actually a minor feast day in the Jewish tradition, but has been co-opted for commercial reasons. Much like Christmas was.

For many centuries Christmas was not a holiday. Two of the four Biblical Gospels give no account of Jesus’ birth, and Matthew and Luke have almost no references back to the birth stories once they are over. The birth stories were not a big deal to early Christians. Christmas only became a holiday as a way to appease pagans in the Roman empire. It is little more than a co-opted winter festival.

But today it has become an important holiday. Not only in our religion, but more so in our culture and economy. Many retailers depend on the holiday season to survive. And mind you, not everyone buying a bunch of crap at Christmas time is Christian. For the most part, Christmas has become a cultural holiday – driven by economic need much more than religious fervor.

So when people get angry when someone says “Happy Holidays,” I get angry that they are angry. If you want to keep Christ in Christmas, worry about things more important than the signs and decorations at JC Penney. You think Christmas should be about Christ? Then take up your cross and follow Jesus – not into department stores, but into the prisons, the hospitals, among the poor and the outcast. You get angry when someone doesn’t say “Christmas?” Try getting angry over Christ’s children dying of malnutrition or AIDS. Try getting angry over the fact that the Christmas chocolate you love so much was kept cheap on the back of the working poor. Try getting angry over the fact that Christians are keeping people out of churches with their closed minds and closed doors.

You want to keep Christ in Christmas? Try putting Christ in your life first. Then we’ll talk about how to greet each other. And if you want a truly Christian greeting, one that makes no mistake whether or not you follow the Christ child, try, “the peace of Christ be with you.”

You brood of vipers. You hypocrites. Try getting upset over something that matters. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

By Rev. Robb McCoy, a.k.a. The Fat Pastor

(Who is the Fat Pastor?)I am The Fat Pastor. I am certainly not the only overweight clergy, but I was the first to pick this blog title. Why do I call myself the Fat Pastor? You can read my reason here. I am writing this blog to share my journey to live well and do good in the world.

My friends call me Robb. I post on all things of interest to me, and hope they are of interest to you. Many posts will focus on my journey toward becoming The Fit Pastor, but that will be a long road. Many posts will be about my own nebulous theology. I will also get political from time to time, and post about sports, food, or media. Hopefully I will do so in an informative and entertaining fashion. All the while, I will usually “Err on the Side of Grace.”

I am the associate pastor of Riverside United Methodist Church in Moline, and a 2006 graduate of Eden Theological Seminary. I was ordained as an Elder in full connection with the Illinois Great Rivers Conference of the United Methodist Church in 2010. I graduated from Illinois Wesleyan University in 1999, where I met my wife. I love God and I love the three girls in my life. The rest is just details.

http://fatpastor.wordpress.com/who-is-the-fat-pastor
Beth
4,000 or More Posts
4,000 or More Posts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say Merry Christmas....I do not change my greeting to be politcally correct, but if I know someone is celebrating Hannakuh, I will wish them a Happy Hannukah. There is my two cents...Smile
PrivateIdaho
10,000 or more posts
10,000 or more posts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to say Merry Chicklets, Sneezings Greetings and Happy Hollandaise Sauce.

And with friends we always add a certain word that starts with an F in front of the second word like Merry F_ing Christmas or Happy F_ing New Year...

Really though it sure seems odd to me that anyone would be judged by things like how you choose to acknowledge a holiday or this particular holiday period.

I don't think anyone means anything but the best of intentions when they say whatever they say and in the spirit of the holiday it should be taken in that context and not used as a point of judgement.

Frankly,I have a lot of opinions regarding organized religion.One of them is there should really only be one world wide religion because all of them are based on the same general principals and concepts.

Instead they are used as a justification for division,intolerance and even death.

I don't think that's what God had in mind.

Proud To be an Irrelevent,LONG LIVE THE MACHINE!

I'm a non attorney spokesperson.
somewheregirrl
10,000 or more posts
10,000 or more posts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause

Bravo PI. Bravo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TVHeads.com Forum Index -> Somewheregirrl's Blog All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: