News Feeds
   Links
TVHeads.com
Cable News Message Boards
Pictures
This Just In
Image Archives
Free Downloads
Networks - ABC  AL JAZEERA  BLOOMBERG  CBS  CNN  ESPN  FNC/FBN/FOX SPORTS/SKY NEWS  NBC/MSNBC/CNBC  TWC  UNIVISION  MORE   
Contributors - LEGAL  LOCAL NEWS  MEDIA (F)  MEDIA (M)  MEDICAL  POLITICAL (F)  POLITICAL (M)  TV/RADIO  MORE   
FAQ  Search  Memberlist   Register   Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Log in

Winsock, IP address?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
somewheregirrl
10,000 or more posts
10,000 or more posts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Winsock, IP address? Reply with quote

I can't get on the internet. My IP address is blank, and an error message says my Winsock (?) needs to be reloaded.

I followed all Windows XP instructions, disabling, enabling, installing in command prompt, etc .... everything should be ok, but no internet still. Any suggestions?

Thanks muchly!
SWG

P.S. My laptop is 5 years old. Maybe I just need a new one?
DT
5,000 Or More Posts
5,000 Or More Posts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had this issue at multiple wireless sources or just one? It would be interesting to see if you could get on at the library or Starbucks. That would help you determine if it's the source or the computer.
RLK
5,000 Or More Posts
5,000 Or More Posts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try and do a "System Restore"? Below are instructions from Microsoft on restoring your computer to an earlier state (date).

Quote:
To use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state, follow these steps:

1. Log on to Windows as Administrator.
2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.
3. On the Welcome to System Restore page, click Restore my computer to an earlier time (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
4. On the Select a Restore Point page, click the most recent system restore point in the On this list, click a restore point list, and then click Next.

Note A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
5. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.
6. Log on to the computer as Administrator. The System Restore Restoration Complete page is displayed.
7. Click OK.

You can also take a look at this MS article which shows how to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). It has a feature allowing MS to fix it for you.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
somewheregirrl
10,000 or more posts
10,000 or more posts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!~

I did do a system restore twice (2 dates). No change.

I have not taken my 'puter to the library, or other wireless place. I'll do that today since I need to get on line for work search anyway.

I'm on their desktop (at home) now. There are two other wireless laptops beside mine that comes off this one. None of them have had this problem.

It's true that only since I tried to connect to their secured wireless have I had a problem. I had been using a neighbor's unsecured just out of laziness (no, I don't do banking or anything like that! Laughing ). Now everyone in the condo building is secured.

I have a solid "connection" to their secured network, but in doing all the configurations, I lost my firewall and virus protection.

I did do the MS page instructions using a second computer at the time. It "says" the TCP/xxx is installed and ok, but upon start up, Symantics says it is not installed. In fact, two of us have gone through the routine. Deleting, then installing.

My D drive doesn't work, so an external disk is not an option, but a Flash Drive is, if I just plug it into my other slots. I might go buy one and try that, using this computer to download the MS info from their website to fix mine.

And my friend's fridge/freezer broke today! When it rains it pours! Laughing

RLK, I'll try that website again. And get on the phone if I need to.

Thanks again, guys!

SWG

I did get an "external error" message at one point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TVHeads.com Forum Index -> Help Me! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: